Our prediction didn’t miss! Apple unveiled their latest unworldly innovations called iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus on 9th September 2014. Both phones are basically same, boasting same hardware under the hood. The ‘plus’ suffix stands only for bigger dimensions and higher screen resolution. Both Smartphones are very special in every aspect, including camera. Continue reading to get a clearer picture of iPhone 6’s camera.
IPhone 6 sports an improved version of iSight BSI (Back side illumination) sensor used on 5S. Apple is still intentionally sticking on to 8megapixel resolution while its rivals are competing to pack more pixels. This allows them use reasonably large pixels (1.5µ), which can absorb more light and produce high quality image. Most 13MP mobile cameras (for example, Galaxy S4) on market have only 1.1µ pixels. Aperture is set to f/2.2. Sensor size is not revealed yet.
iSight sensor is followed by a hybrid IR filter, which cuts off excess Infra-Red rays. It helps to retain natural color accuracy and greater color uniformity of the picture. Hybrid IR filter is followed by a five-element high grade lens.
In iPhone 6 plus, all these are supported by Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), which moves the lens slightly in order to compensate camera shakes, and thus ensure stable images. It is made possible with the help of gyroscope, M8 motion coprocessor and the powerful A8 processor chip. As motion data is precisely measured and necessary lens movements are made continuously, you can take crisper blur-free images even under low light.
Lens cover is made of Sapphire crystal, which falls just below diamond in Mohs scale (Sapphire crystal Mohs value - 9, Diamond – 10). It is scratch proof to a great extent, but not shatterproof. As normal stress is still a threat to the crystal, which may cause it to crack, Apple has given the lens cover circular shape.
- Focus Pixels: These collect enough information about the image within a fraction of second, and pass them to sensor. They are triggered by the whole new Apple-designed image signal processor. They will facilitate lightning fast autofocus for you.
- Face Detection: iSight camera can now recognize faces quickly with great accuracy. Doesn’t matter even if your subject is far away, or in a crowd. Of course, this will help you take great group shots and portraits. Changes are reflected in burst mode too, in smile and blink detection and selecting faces. Your iPhone can now capture your best moments automatically.
- Smarter Exposure control: Simply lighten or darken the scene using a simple slide in preview pane. A maximum of four f-stops are available in either direction. It is useful in both video and photo modes.
- Auto Image Stabilization: Apart from OIS, iPhone 6 has auto image stabilization also. It is a software feature, and not a hardware thing. It helps you capture moving subjects without motion blur, by bursting four photos with limited exposure time and combining them together. Both short-exposure and long-exposure images are taken for fusing .Noise, motion blur and hand shake can be reduced to a great extend using it.
- Photos app: It is a powerful post-processing tool with tons of adjustment tools, smart composition features, and filters. You can produce mind-blowing results within seconds using it. You can use your Touch ID or passcode for directly sharing a pic from Lock screen.
- Panorama: iPhone 6 can capture high-resolution panoramic scenes using Pano mode. This mode supports up to 43MP capture (Even Lumia 1020 can reach up to 41MP only). The mode is graced with dynamic auto exposure and intelligent processing so that you can take incredibly higher-resolution shots with epic clarity.
- Other features: True Tone flash, Photo Geotagging, Timer mode etc.
Video Recording features:
- iSight camera can not only capture stunning pictures, but also mind blowing 1080p HD videos at 60fps. Thanks to the continuous autofocus which enables constant focus throughout the footage. Optical Image Stabilization is there compensate camera shakiness and ensure steady shots. Here also, apple coupled it with electronic stabilization (the software part), which they call ‘Cinematic Video Stabilization’.
- Slo-mo video: At 720p resolution, iPhone 6 is capable of capturing up to 240fps. That means, it can loselessly extract every bit of movements. If you have ever taken slow motion videos with Smartphones, you will be able to understand its power. Most Smartphones can support only up to 120fps recording. Once you finished recording something, you can select the portion of it to slowdown, and save it.
- Time-lapse video: iOS 8 lets you create amazing time-lapse videos. Select Time-lapse mode and start recording. It can even take still pictures while video recording at dramatically chosen intervals. You will get incredible movie at end, even if recording took minutes or hours.
- Other features: 3x zoom, True Tone flash, Video Geotagging etc.
FaceTime HD features:
- Apple introduced all-new sensor technology for front-facing camera, with 1.2-megapixel resolution, f/2.2 aperture and drastic improvement in light absorption. This backside illuminated sensor can absorbs about 81 percent more light compared to the older one. It can record 720p videos.
- Exposure Control: FaceTime camera uses the same exposure control feature of iSight camera for lightening or darkening videos and photos.
- Face detection: With improved face detection and blink and smile detection, you can take great selfies or group photos.
- Improved HDR: Enhance the beauty of photos and videos with higher dynamic range. This feature is usable in FaceTime video calls also.
- Burst mode: Take up to 10 shots per second using front camera without compromising sharpness and vividness. iPhone can suggest you the best among ten photos automatically.
- Timer mode: Lets you capture your best pose. Also useful in group photography.
Even though iPhone possess lower resolution (megapixels) cameras compared to its rivals, it can compensate that limitation through life-like color recreation and low light capabilities. If you have ever compared iPhone 5s with Lumia 1020 (41MP), you will understand the way iPhone lead. iPhone 6 is born as a game changer for sure. One can doubtlessly say that it has the best mobile camera in the world.